A Role Model.

In Brazil we had to make do with what we had. It was here in the United States that I learned we could buy new things more comfortably. I also learned that repairing was very costly and that most of the time it just didn't make any sense to do that. My parents were very creative and handy. My dad even built a natural wooden closet for them once. My mom was great at inventing new ways to use and re-use stuff. She was good at "recycling" way before the term was overused or popularized all over.

I like that mentality of respecting what someone does by doing what you have learned from them well. It might sound strict, but I think that defines a good teacher. Maybe that is just one of the qualities of a good teacher. I think we need more people like my parents and like the lady from the article. Those people change the world with their hands. Little by little, everyday. Those are the anonymous heroes we need.
Maybe I will even find the energy and creativity to learn how to install hardwood floors in my apartment. That would be a very rewarding project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Phone