Fluffy: A Year Later

A year ago, I rescued a small dog from the streets of Plantation. At first, he wasn't friendly to me at all. It was a cold January, the sky was peach and red and I was driving in a very busy street when I saw something that looked like a teddy bear running on the sidewalk.
I figured it had to be a dog. I stopped my car and I ran after him for about 20 minutes. We were both scared. I was finally able to take him home and call people to see what I should do. He wouldn't come to me; he was so dirty and afraid. His hair was long and he had no collar. No tag, no nothing. I took him to the vet and then to the Humane Society to see if he had a chip. At the Humane Society, they said I had two options. Leave him there to see if he was going to behave well or take him back home.
There I learned that if I were to leave him, Fluffly would have only some hours left (as my brother I discussed the situation) because they thought he was too aggressive. He had tried to bite me that morning. I decided to bring him home and think of a better solution.
As days went by, I wasn't sure what to do. Fluffy started following me around, playing with me, I would shower him and he would fall asleep on my lap. I think both of us fell for each other. I had company, someone to wait for me at home and he had me. The more I think about him, the more I know that I had also been rescued.
It became harder and harder to potty train him and he would get mad that I wasn't at home enough (due to work and tango) to spend time with him. He would chew my shoes; look at me with indifference, and pee all over my apartment. Then I found out about a shelter where they find homes for pets, especially small dogs. I took him there, but Fluffy had a contagious condition and they didn't take him. I had taken Fluffy to the vet and spent a lot of money on him (I initially intended on keeping him - but I am now glad I gave him proper treatment), but the veterinarian wasn't a good one - even though it was expensive. I ended up taking my Fluffy back home for another month for treatment.
The day came when I had to give up on him and so I took him to the shelter. In his short stay with me (a little over 3 months), he taught me a lot. After leaving him, I called the shelter to see how he was doing. I learned he was adapting and he was being taken care of.
The last I heard was that he was going to be fixed and that seemed like a long time ago since yesterday. Time went by and I never called the shelter again. I always think of him, though. Fluffy was a great companion when I was living hell on Earth and then when things got a little better.
Yesterday, I drove through the street from which I rescued him and I missed him immensely. So I decided to call the shelter to see how he was doing. I was happy to learn that Fluffy, now Farley, leaves in Bonita Springs with a beautiful family, one canine-sibling and one feline-sibling. His new parents are both retired professors from a famous university in Connecticut. They leave in a very big house with lots of green areas for him to play. I was so happy that I got teary-eyed. I miss Fluffly, but I know that he's better off now. Love sometimes has to have that kind of generosity. As love evolves and changes, we should learn that lesson. Love sometimes has to set us free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Phone