Last Tuesday

Last Tuesday I had agreed with two friends to go to a jazz concert. I had a very long day at work, but still wanted to go see this amazing musician playing live at an unconventional club in Miami Beach. When I got there, I realized I had been there before some long eight years ago. The feeling was so intense that it's almost like I am a different person. Entirely.

When I left my Monday semi-private class and was driving home and the road seemed like this huge desert I had to cross, I was listening to my favorite jazz show and Jowee Omicil was being interviewed. His music made me forget everything. I was hypnotized by the notes he played. This particular song, Micky's Groove sent me to another world. So, I came home and googled him and then found out he was going to be at Jazid in Miami Beach.

So I picked my friend up and headed to Espagnola way to meet my other friend. At the end, there were four of us. On our way there, my friend and I were talking about how angry we have been lately. It is ironic how two lives that are so different can be in sync like that. We finally got to our destination  after a detour and much laughter. So, we sat down, I ordered a French crepe which I gobbled it down because I was starving. I've been having a very hard time eating these days. Nothing appeals to me. We talked a little. I was, for the most part, silent. I didn't feel like talking. Silence was comfortable and friendly.

We then walked to the club and, to my surprise, the place was quite empty. It was freezing cold in there. I just stood there with my friends - no seats avaialble at all. Jowee's music so intense, so authentic. On top of being a musician, he's also a teacher. He has helped Haiti. He mixes jazz with Haitian music. He plays that sax as if he were in love with it and I think he is. We had to leave before the end of the show, but those were two hours of pure ecstasy. To be quite honest, I wanted to dance to his music.

We left. His music stays. Music saves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Phone