Cactus

Desert Garden, Huntington Library - Google Images
cac·tus
noun /ˈkaktəs/ 
cacti, plural; cactuses, plural
  1. A succulent plant with a thick, fleshy stem that typically bears spines, lacks leaves, and has brilliantly colored flowers. Cacti are native to arid regions of the New World and are cultivated elsewhere, esp. as houseplants


A long time ago, I visited a cacti garden in Los Angeles. I was so mesmerized by its intense beauty. The place was this beautiful area with an amazing library and gardens. One of the gardens was called the Desert Garden. I remember I thought of my grandmother because she loved plants. My mom loved plants too, but didn't like cactus plants/flowers. One day my grandmother was talking to me about the beauty of cactus and she told me my mother didn't like anything. That was an exaggeration, but it was normal given the source. My grandmother had that talent to say things like that. Sometimes she was dry and funny. Sometimes she was just plain straight and hurtful. Not to me, though. She really loved me. We liked the same things since I was very young. I loved her immensely. Her connection to nature has always appealed to me. Her white beautiful hands working on her garden always amazed me. 
I had been thinking about two of my friends lately. They have been resilient. Just like a cactus. I have been thinking of myself. I have always wanted to be a hummingbird if I were a bird and a seahorse if I were a sea creature. It never occurred to me to be a plant. But now I know. I would like to be a beautiful cactus with a flower. Soft and resilient at the same time. 
Somehow I extend my prayers to my two friends. May P and R find happiness and peace of mind. May they find unending resilience and beauty. 
May I always be able to be there for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing

Lost Phone