Dinner with my father

I wanted to treat my dad to a nice dinner after he spent the week with my brother so I took him to Hollywood and asked him to pick a restaurant. He didn't feel like eating so we ended up just having coffee, empanadas, and dessert.We were silent for some time.
When I was little I remember there was this Milan Kundera book that was very famous and had been made into a movie.The movie was popular as well. So, last night I had one of those Kundera moments. I saw this group of people get a table. They were all cool and different. Very white, some of them blond, and the guys reminded me of someone. Someone from the movie, someone from real life. They had strong bones and very nice eyes. They smoked these fancy dark cigarettes and had a nonchalant attitude. They were very Russian. And I was (hate to admit it) taken back to a place I don't want to be anymore. I was also curious about them. I saw one of the women holding her husband, who ordered wine and coffee. He only had eyes for her. She was attractive. They were attractive. Happy.
I tried to bet a dollar with my dad, but he refuses to take part on bets. My dad said they were Italian, I told him they were Russian. I had to ask the waitress, who confirmed they were indeed speaking Russian. I sat there just observing their behavior. The way they were having fun and eating. So much of that has been, at some point, part of my life. Once we were done, I got up and never looked back or to the side. All I want is to forget. Kundera. The guys at the cafe. My Russian affair.

The movie's title is  The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

The Novel's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration